Facts and Trivia
- How many kilometers of roads, both gravel and asphalt, does the Township maintain?
- What year did the Township amalgamate from two municipalities to the new Township of South Stormont and what were the two former municipalities?
- January, 1998
Cornwall Township and Osnabruck Township
- Who was the first Reeve of the newly amalgamated Township of South Stormont?
- Jim Brownell
- On average, how many tonnes of recycling were collected in one month in 2012?
- On average, how many tonnes of garbage were collected in one month in 2012?
- The first inductees of the South Stormont Sports Hall of Fame were inducted in what year?
- Where are the South Stormont Sports Hall of Fame Inductees proudly displayed for public viewing?
- Long Sault Arena, 60 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault
- What are the names of the Lost Villages?
- What year did the flooding of the seaway take place?
- July, 1958; Inundation Day was July 1, 1958
- What year did Queen Elizabeth II come through our area?
- What was the Raisin River Heritage Centre in St. Andrews West originally constructed in 1843 to be?
- The original building was constructed as a convent boarding/day school. It burned down in 1900. The present building was constructed between 1906-1909 using much of the original stone. The “Grey Nuns” of Ottawa operated the school from 1847-1851, followed by the Sisters of Notre Dame of Montreal from 1883-1918 and the Sisters of St. Joseph from Peterborough from 1918-1976. The convent was closed in 1976.
In 1978 the building was designated as a Heritage Building. It is now head quarters for the Cornwall Township Historical Society and contains a museum and a branch of the SDG County Library. The museum is open on Sunday afternoon from 2pm-4pm in July and August or by appointment year round.
- What year did the first Stormont County Fair take place in the village of Newington?
- The Military was called into action to help restore power and assist in an emergency for two weeks in January 1998. Do you recall what emergency that was?
- Ice Storm
- The Stormont Yacht Club was established in 1958, after the Seaway was completed. What year did the club dig the first harbour to accommodate the increasing number of larger well-moored boats?
- How much is the Township of South Stormont total budget for 2013?
- How many children were able to participate with our 2013 soccer program?
- How many litres of water does it take to fill the St. Andrews West community pool?
Did you know?
- In the 1800s, Newington was part of the Township and the municipal council was its immediate authority. The inhabitants of the small hamlet were ambitious to give their village some amenities for which the Township apparently would not support, for instance “sidewalks”.
From the Cornwall newspaper of March 16, 1899 comes this item of local information:
There is to be a social gathering at the residence of James Martin on Wednesday evening for those who took part in the concern on behalf of the sidewalks to decide where to build the walks. Those of the village and vicinity who took part were: Theo Helmer, AG Hope, Wm Duval, George Berkley, Earnier Rombough, Norah Foster, Aeneas Jardine, Earnie Martin, George Wood, James Steen, Percy Hawn, E. Hawn, Walter Rupert, John Thompson, Ryerson Wladroff and Ross Snetsinger, Misses Grace E. Low. Lottie Jardine, Lyda Snetsinger, Laura E. Martin, Lena Berkley, Birdie Hawn, Cassie McIntyre, Ethel Bancroft, Etta Martin, Zella Douval and Elva Jardine. Those from outside were George Mattice, Charles Helmer of Lunenburg, Percy McEwan and the Arbuthnot brothers of Northfield and Mr. Hough of Avonmore. As this concert was such a grand success, it is hoped there will be another in the near future in further aid of the sidewalk fund.
It was recorded that board sidewalks provided easy walking. Cecil Paupst talked of concrete sidewalk in the 1920s.
Source: Newington, Osnabruck History and Hearsay, Annie Webber, 1989
- Did you know that the City of Cornwall annexed part of Cornwall Township in 1957?