Getting Married?  Here's what you need to know.

Who can marry me?

  • A religious marriage can be performed by a member of a recognized religious organization authorized to perform marriages in Ontario under the Marriage Act.
  • A civil marriage ceremony can be performed by a Justice of the Peace, Municipal Clerk or their Designate appointed as Marriage Commissioner.

 Wedding Officiants

Are you looking for an experienced Wedding Officiant to make your wedding ceremony the best? If so, look no further. The Township of South Stormont offers civil marriage ceremonies officiated by Denise Labelle-Gelinas, Retired City Clerk and Marriage Commissioner. 

Your wedding should be a customized ceremony, reflecting who you are as individuals and as a couple. To do this, Denise will meet with you in order to get to know you and understand what makes your bond so special.

Denise Labelle-Gélinas
Marriage Commissioner
(613) 613-362-0537

If Denise is unavailable, we have two Marriage Officiants on staff who may be available to perform your ceremony.

 About our Ceremonies

Ceremonies can be conducted in Council Chambers at Town Hall, 2 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault. Ceremonies can also be conducted in your choice of other Township locations or you may rent the Township's Community Hall. For information concerning facilities rental, please contact Kevin Amelotte, Parks and Recreation Supervisor at 613-534-2419 or Kevin Amelotte.

In order to provide the right service to the couple and prepare for a personalized wedding, a pre-ceremony meeting will be scheduled with both parties.

Ceremonies are available in the English or French languages or in a combination of both and can include special requests such as personalized scripts, poems, readings, etc.

Although every effort is made to accommodate last-minute requests, there can be situations in which demand regrettably exceeds availability. To avoid disappointment, couples are encouraged to reserve their wedding date with an Officiant in advance.

Two witnesses are required and must be fourteen (14) years of age or older.
Photographs and videos are permitted during the ceremony.

A $60.00 non-refundable fee is required to reserve a wedding date. The $60.00 will be applied towards the overall cost of the ceremony.

The fee for the Solemnization of a Marriage is $300.00 (only cash payment is accepted).
A Rehearsal can be arranged prior to the wedding and the fee for this service is $50.00.
Should witnesses be required, a fee of $30.00 ($15.00 for each witness) will be charged.

Please respect the facilities and do not celebrate with rice or confetti in the Council Chambers, Community Hall, parking lot, entrance or surrounding public areas including sidewalks.

Alcohol or stimulants are not to be used by the celebrants or their witnesses prior to or during the ceremony. If the Officiant believes that alcohol or other stimulants have been used, the ceremony will not proceed.

Do I need a Marriage Licence?

In most cases, if you are being married in a religious or civil ceremony, you must obtain a Marriage Licence through your local municipality.

However, if you are being married in a religious ceremony, you may be eligible to be married by a Publication of Banns (making an announcement of the details of your intent to marry in your church, mosque or synagogue). Speak to your religious official for more information.

How do I get a Marriage Licence or Marriage Certificate?

Marriage Licence are available at the Township of South Stormont office, 2 Mille Roches Rd., Long Sault, ON, or by contacting the Township office at 613-534-8889, for more information.   

Click here to view the “Getting Married” booklet with all the details.