- Administration and Corporate Services
- Building Permits
- By-law Enforcement & Animal Control
- Finances and Taxes
- Fire and Emergency Services
- Parks and Recreation
- Planning and Development
- Public Works Roads
- Waste Management
- Water and Sewer
Property Tax Information
Your property taxes are determined by multiplying the phased in assessment of your property by the annual tax rate for the property type or "Property Class". This will result in the amount of taxes that are owed for the year. If you have just built a new home, there may be a delay in receiving your supplementary tax bill until the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) has completed all of the paperwork. When you receive your assessment notice, you have an opportunity to contact MPAC if you feel that your assessment is incorrect. For residential properties, the property owner must complete a "Request for Reconsideration" by no later than March 31 of the following year, or 90 days after receiving the Notice of Assessment. These forms are available at the municipal office or from the MPAC website at www.mpac.ca
Payment Terms and Options
Tax payments are due on or before the due date. A penalty of 1.25% is added to all outstanding tax accounts the day after the payment is due and continues to be added on the first day of each month until the account is paid in full. Payments may be made by any of the following convenient avenues:
- In person, via cash, cheque or debit at the Township of South Stormont, 2 Mille Roches Road - Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There is also an “after hours” drop box just right of the front door should you wish to pay by cheque after hours. Post-dated cheques are accepted.
- By mailing your payment to:
Township of South Stormont* Please remember to mail your payment in advance to ensure it arrives prior to the due date;
PO Box 84
Long Sault, ON
- By telephone, internet or personal banking through participating financial institutions;
* Please ensure that your method of payment allows sufficient time for processing; payments must be received at the Township office by the due date. In most cases 3 business days are needed for processing.
- By pre-authorized payment; the plan options will save you money on postage and trips to physically pay your bill, you will not incur any late payment charges and under option 1 it is easier to budget when the total is spread over a number of months.
Option 1: 10 monthly installments, withdrawn on the first business day of each month, from January to October. Payments from January to June are 10% of the previous year’s total with the difference between one year and the next being paid from July to October. Only accounts with no arrears may enroll.
Option 2: Withdrawal on the due date. Only accounts with no arrears may enroll.
Option 3: 12 monthly installments, withdrawn on the first business day of each month. Any property owner, regardless of account status, may enroll; interest is applicable with this option.
Pre-authorized payment is available for Water & Sewer users on the due date.
Terms and conditions for pre-authorized payment options:
- Enrollment in the pre-authorized payment plan is automatically renewed each year; any changes affecting payment will be forwarded prior to implementation.
- If, for any reason, a payment is returned, you will be subject to a $30.00 service charge. You are required to remit the amount of the returned payment, plus the service charge before the next pre-authorized payment is withdrawn. If any two payments are returned in a twelve month period, your enrollment in the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan may be terminated.
- If you wish to be removed from this payment plan, or if your banking information changes, you must notify the municipal office in writing at least fifteen (15) days before the next pre-authorized payment is due.
DATES TO REMEMBER
Interim payment Last business day of March
First final payment Last business day of June
Second final payment Last business day of September 30