Property Tax Payments

 What payment options are available for making property tax payments?

Pre-Authorized Payments offer the most convenience when paying your property taxes. For all of our payment options, refer to the guide below.



 How do I sign up for a pre-authorized payment plan (PAP) for my property taxes?

You can join one of our pre-authorized payment plans where deductions will be taken out either on the 1st of each month (10 month or 12month plans) or on the installment due dates.

Applications must be received three weeks prior to the first of the month for the monthly plan or 15 days prior to the installment date for the installment due date plan. For more information, please click on the link below, or contact the Finance Department at (613) 534-8889 Ext 221 &/or 225.     

Payment Plan Application

I've changed my banking information. What do I need to do in order to ensure that my PAP payments continue to come out of my bank account?

If you have changed your banking information, please complete the form below and return it to our office or send by fax or mail.


Payment Plan Change or Cancellation Request

 Does my pre-authorized payment plan transfer to my new property automatically?

No, the program is not transferable. The program must be cancelled on the previous property and a new application must be completed for the new property. 


Payment Plan Change or Cancellation Request

 I  made a payment to the wrong tax roll, what can I do?

Please contact our Tax Department 613-534-8889, Ext.221 &/or 225, or email We can arrange to move the payment to the appropriate account. (Note: a $10 fee applies)

I made payment on my taxes via online banking (or telephone banking) and I just received a statement of arrears —what happened to my payment?

Please contact our Tax Department at (613) 534-8889, Ext.221 &/or 225 to verify that your payment was received and posted. It’s also possible that you may have made a payment to another payee and your bank will be able to assist you in recalling the payment if required.

How are my payments applied to my tax account?

Payments are applied first to penalties and interest, starting with the oldest and including current penalty. Then, payments are applied to any outstanding taxes starting with oldest to current.

 My payment/cheque was returned. What fees are associated?

If you paid by cheque and your payment was returned, we will reverse    the payment from your tax account and apply a fee. You will be sent a letter advising you of the returned payment.


If your payment was PAP, you will also receive a similar letter notifying you that your payment was returned, and a fee has been added to your tax account. If you do not remit the missed payment, your PAP plan will be recalculated to include it.  Plans are recalculated either from July to October or the final payment in October will pay the balance in the account.


*Note that after 2 rejected PAP payments, your enrollment in the plan may be discontinued.

How are tax penalties calculated? I was only one day late, yet I was charged a full month's penalty.

Late payments will result in penalties of 1.25% being applied to any outstanding taxes on the first day of each month and remain the same for the remainder of the month.


Penalty and interest rates are set by Township By-laws pursuant to the Municipal Act, 2001 This charge is applied for the entire month.

 What happens if I don't pay my tax bill?

If you do not pay your current taxes, penalty will be applied on the first day of default and the first day of each month thereafter until paid.


Properties with two or more years of arrears will be eligible for Tax Registration which is when the township registers a lien against the property. Significant    fees apply to this process and all interested parties including Mortgage Companies and Financial Institutions will be made aware of the registration.


If the property taxes are not paid within one year after registration, the township can advertise the property for sale to recover the outstanding taxes from the proceeds of the sale. Before the property is registered for tax sale , the township will attempt to contact the property owner to arrange for the collection of the tax arrears. If the property owner does not respond, the township will proceed with the registration process.


If you have received a letter with regard to your property tax arrears, please contact (613) 534-8889, Ext. 225 to discuss payment arrangement.
 What authority does the Township have to sell a property for outstanding Tax Arrears?
The Municipal Act authorizes the Municipality to recover unpaid property taxes, two or more years in arrears, through the tax registration process.

Property Taxes and Assessment

 How are property taxes calculated?

Property taxes are calculated by multiplying the assessed value of your property by the current tax rate.

Example:   Average Property Value: $206,000, 2021 residential tax rate: 0.01204619

$206,000 x 0.01204619= $2,482.


Therefore, a property assessed at $206,000, would have a total amount of $2,482 in taxes levied for 2021. Please refer to the tax rates for each property type.


Municipal Tax Rates

 What is CVA and who determines the CVA of my property?

Current Value Assessment (CVA) is the method utilized by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) to determine your property’s assessed value. It includes the analysis of the sales of comparable properties in your area, with review of factors which affect market value (i.e. location, lot size, living area, age of the property, major renovations, additions and quality of construction). The CVA approach was implemented by the Ontario Government in 1998 with the goal of establishing consistent property assessment practices province wide.


All properties in Ontario are assessed and classified by MPAC which is an independent, not-for- profit Corporation funded by all Ontario Municipalities. MPAC is accountable to the Province, all municipalities and taxpayers. MPAC is guided by the Assessment Act and regulations which are set by the Government of Ontario.


Please contact MPAC for questions / concerns about your property’s assessment:

Toll Free 1 866 296-MPAC (6722)

1 877 889-MPAC (6722) TTY

Monday to Friday – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PO Box 9808 Toronto ON M1S 5T9

Toll Free Fax 1 866 297-6703


For more information on CVA and the MPAC’s property assessment guidelines, please visit
 What can I do if I disagree with the assessed value of my property?

There are several items to consider if you feel that your Current Value Assessment is too high.

  • Ask yourself if you could sell your property for the value listed on your Property Assessment Notice? If the answer is yes, you should feel confident that your CVA is fair.
  • Contact MPAC to review your Property Assessment Notice and your CVA.
  • If after considering these factors and speaking with MPAC representatives you determine that your CVA is too high, you will need to file a Request for Reconsideration (RFR) within 120 days of the issuance date printed on the property assessment notice. The issue date and the deadlines for filing RFR’s annually are listed on your Property Assessment Notice.
  • If you disagree with the outcome of decision of the RFR, you have the option to appeal to the Assessment Review Board. Information about appeals are located on MPAC’s website. For more information, contact MPAC at 1-866-296-MPAC.
 If I have appealed my assessment, do I still need to pay my tax bill?

You should continue to pay your tax bill until you are notified of the outcome of your appeal. Once the Township has received notification of the appeal decision, any changes will be applied to your tax roll and any refund applicable can be issued upon request. Amounts not paid prior to the approval of your appeal will be subject to penalty and interest.

 My property taxes are higher than my neighbours. Why?

Please visit About My Property to learn more about your property, how it was assessed and how  it compares to others in your neighbourhood. There is more information on this site for the property owner than what the municipality can provide, so this is the best resource for answering questions about your assessment. You will need the roll number and access key on your Property Assessment Notice. If you do not have this information, you can call the MPAC Customer Contact Centre at 1-866-296-6722 for assistance.

My assessment went from Farmland to Residential, but I am still farming. Why did this happen and how can I get this corrected?

If you have not completed the necessary paperwork required by Agricorp to confirm your eligibility, your assessment will be    returned to Residential. Please contact Agricorp regarding your property’s assessment.


Agricorp Farm Property Tax Rate Program


 How can I change my school support?

Property owners in Ontario are required to support a school board, even if they do not have children or their children are not currently attending school. In the case of a residential property occupied by tenants, the tenants can direct the school support for that property. By default, school support is directed to your municipality’s English Public School Board.

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is legislatively required to collect school support information and provide it in the assessment roll to every municipality and school board. By ensuring that you are supporting the school board of your choosing, you will be able to vote in the next municipal and school board election for trustees in that school board.  Property owners, occupants, and tenants can update their school support designation online at

To change your school support using paper copy, you can download the forms below and mail to:

1340 Pickering Parkway, Suite 101
Pickering ON  L1V 0C4

English School Support Change Form

French School Support Change Form


 I built a new house and the assessment on my property is currently only on vacant land. Will the assessed value of the house be retroactive to the day I moved in?

Generally, MPAC will assess your home based on the date of occupancy. If you have not received a supplementary assessment the year following occupancy, please contact MPAC so that they will go and assess your home.

In order to prepare for the eventual tax bill, you can estimate the taxes on your new home and prepay for the Supplementary taxes.

To estimate the annual taxes on your new home, multiply the purchase price of the home (or approximate current selling price) by Property Tax rate for residential properties:


Example          $350,000 home, 2021 Tax Rate of 0.01204619


Multiply approximate value of home by current

tax rate

350,000 x 0.01204619



Estimated annual taxes payable

Current taxes billed and paid on land value only

$75,000 x 0.01204619

$ 903

Current taxes

Subtract the current amount from the

estimated annual amount

$4,216 – $903


Estimated annual

supplementary billed amount


If you are currently only paying taxes on vacant land, you would owe approximately $3,313 in  supplementary taxes.


Remember that this amount is a rough estimate only. Amounts will vary based on actual assessed value and current year tax rates. It is recommended that you plan ahead to pay this amount, either in advance of receiving the supplementary bill or by setting the funds aside to pay the bill when you receive it.
 What is a Supplementary Tax Bill?

Supplementary tax bills are issued for additional assessments pertaining to current or previous year(s). It is a one-time billing with two instalment due dates, similar to regular tax bills. If you have received a supplementary bill and are on a PAP  plan, you will need to make separate payments for the supplementary bill according to the due dates provided as your monthly payments were not calculated based on the additional assessment.

What are the billing timelines for Supplementary Tax Bills?

Supplementary tax bills are issued in the same manner as interim or final tax bills, with two instalments payable for the total taxes owing. The first instalment is due approximately 30 days from the billing date. The second installment is due approximately 90 days from the billing date. Due dates will be the last working day of the applicable month based on the parameters described here.

Changes to Property Tax Roll Information

How do I change my name on the Property Tax Roll? I need to change the name on my tax bill into my married/maiden name — how can I do this?

In order to make a name change on a tax bill, we need updated information provided to us by MPAC. You will need to go to the land registry office where you can fill out a name change form and they, in turn, will advise MPAC.

How do I change my mailing address for my Property Tax Roll?

Typically, the mailing address for your tax bill is the same as the property address. If you need to change your mailing address, please complete the form below and return to one of our offices in person, or by mail or email


Apply for a Change of Address

 How can a deceased person's name be removed from my Property Tax Roll?

Complete the Survivorship Application with the Land Registry Office, or alternatively, you can have this done for you by your lawyer.


Survivorship Application Form

 I moved but my ownership hasn't been changed yet. When will it be changed?

South Stormont Township does not determine ownership on properties. All ownership changes are managed by the Land Registry Office. We rely on notice from MPAC which could take a few weeks. Please follow up with your lawyer to confirm that the appropriate documentation was sent.

If I have severed a portion of my property, why am I still receiving a bill for the entire property?
Land severances (or consents) are divisions of land to create a new lot(s).


Whenever a new parcel of land is created, an apportionment is provided by MPAC to redistribute the assessed value and acreage between the two or more parcels of land as well as create a new roll number(s). It can take some time for MPAC to process the apportionment. Until the information has been provided to us by MPAC, you will need to continue to make payments as they are billed.  Once information has been received and processed, you will receive notice of your final bill or credit.  

Tax Bills and Documents

Where can I get a copy of my tax bill for my income tax?

Property tax bills can be re-printed; however, a fee applies. You don’t require a copy of your tax bill unless this is specifically requested by Revenue Canada, you require only the total amount paid to record on your return.

When are tax bills mailed out? When are tax installments due?

Interim tax bills are mailed in early March. The final tax bill is mailed in early July.

Tax installments are due on the last business day of March, May, July and September.

 I'm on a PAP plan to pay my taxes. Why did you send me a bill?

If you are on a payment plan (installment or due date) your tax bill will indicate what the amounts to be deducted will be. The bill you received is for your information.  For residents on monthly payment plans, a letter will accompany your final tax bill indicating what your new payments will be. This bill is for your information only and requires no payment.

 I didn't receive a tax bill. Do I need to pay my taxes? Will penalty/interest be applied?

Property owners are responsible to pay property taxes, even if they haven’t received their property tax bill. Late payments will result in a penalty charge of 1.25% on any outstanding instalment. Please call the township office if you have not received your tax bill by the middle of the month it is due.

Why have the water and wastewater arrears of a previous owner or my tenant been added to my tax roll?
Provincial legislation under the Municipal Act provides that charges for the supply of a public utility may be added to the taxes for the property to which the utility was supplied, including the arrears of the tenants of an owner’s property or the previous owner. It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that the tenant is paying the water and wastewater charges or that the final water bill was paid by the previous owner. Additionally, unpaid utility charges are a lien on the property, not the owner.
My tax bill shows "other levies" or "special charges/credits." What is this?

Some examples of other levies or special charges/credits that may appear on your tax bill;

  • Drains
Capital Water Debenture (repayment of loan)